Friday, April 1, 2011

datevalue(Tuesday) = chicken korma

Tuesday nights are usually a bit grim, being just after a weekend and the next weekend not yet within spitting distance. But never fear, chicken korma is here!

This recipe was under the 'Tuesday night cooking' section of delicious magazine, and coincidentally, I made it on a Tuesday night after a particularly strenuous day at work buried under a metaphorical pile of spreadsheets, equations and calculations.  A simple recipe with ingredients that are not too hard to find - now that's my type of formula.

A korma is a type of mild curry, and usually includes cream or yoghurt, spices and nuts. This particularly easy recipe calls for creme fraiche (I substituted sour cream), and the addition of almond meal thickens the sauce as it cooks. The garam masala (Indian spice blend) and cumin  add flavour rather than heat. Nice and mild, just like an uneventful Tuesday.

Tuesday chicken korma
serves 4

Ingredients
1 tblsp sunflower oil or rice bran oil
1 red onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
400g chicken thigh fillets, skin off, thickly sliced
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
1 1/4 cups (300ml) chicken stock
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (60g) almond meal
1 small bunch broccolini, sliced
20g snow pea sprouts
1 tblsp flaked almonds
Cooked brown rice, to serve

Method
1.  Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
2.  Add chicken and stir fry for 4-5 minutes until brown. Stir in garam masala and cumin and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
3.  Stir in stock, sour cream and almond meal. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes until the sauce is creamy and the chicken is cooked.
4.  Add the broccolini and snow pea sprouts for the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
5.  Serve sprinkled with flaked almonds and with rice.

recipe adapted from delicious (March 2011)

Some of the ingredients

Looks creamy, though I used light sour cream, which is lower in fat than normal

Served with brown basmati rice and some more snow pea sprouts on top.
You could also add *cough* coriander, if you don't think it's evil

Alrighty, a bowl of this and those spreadsheets won't know what hit them.

11 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure if I made this, it would be the highlight of my week! Okay, just eating Indian food is usually the highlight of my week. My weeks are pretty highlight-less, as you can tell.

    The almond-infused sauce though...delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. E' interessante il korm, con la farina di mandorle e il resto... e il pollo con questa ricetta sembra molto invitante....
    Mi piacerebbe provarla!
    Ciao a presto

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that section of the magazine too. Lots of simple dinner ideas. Love a bowl of this korma chicken for dinner......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cool. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try making this for next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful and flavourful dish! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm chicken korma sounds delicious! I love to make curries in my own kitchen - they seem the kind of thing that you can only get in a restaurant so it's extremely satisfying to make a delicious curry dish in your own home! Thanks for sharing this recipe - I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really cute, love the little white fonts on the photos! Sounds just nice for quiet night in :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. indeed yum yum :) looks beautiful and i am sure it taste awsm too !

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh, never tried it with creme fraiche. * bubble bubble bubble * hehe love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Delicious magazines Tuesday Night Cooking section too! I made my first korma the other night from Poh's cookbook. It was a chicken and pistachio korma. I think I should have tested the heat of the large green chili that I put in it. It knocked my socks off!! other than that, it was ok. I might have to try this recipe and see how I go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you’re having a tough time finding a good garam masala for this recipe, I used RawSpiceBar’s freshly ground garam masala spice blend and it was wonderful in this dish.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin